We are proud to be one of 80+ practices that has signed a pledge called 'UK Architects Declare Climate and Biodiversity Emergency'.
We have all committed to:
- Raise awareness of the climate and biodiversity emergencies and the urgent need for action amongst our clients and supply chains
- Advocate for faster change in our industry towards regenerative design practices and a higher Governmental funding priority to support this
- Establish climate and biodiversity mitigation principles as the key measure of our industry’s success: demonstrated through awards, prizes and listings
- Share knowledge and research to that end on an open source basis
- Evaluate all new projects against the aspiration to contribute positively to mitigating climate breakdown, and encourage our clients to adopt this approach
- Upgrade existing buildings for extended use as a more carbon efficient alternative to demolition and new build whenever there is a viable choice
- Include life cycle costing, whole life carbon modelling and post occupancy evaluation as part of our basic scope of work, to reduce both embodied and operational resource use
- Adopt more regenerative design principles in our studios, with the aim of designing architecture and urbanism that goes beyond the standard of net zero carbon in use
- Collaborate with engineers, contractors and clients to further reduce construction waste
- Accelerate the shift to low embodied carbon materials in all our work
- Minimise wasteful use of resources in architecture and urban planning, both in quantum and in detail.
See who else has signed up here: https://www.architectsdeclare.com/.