Last week I presented the changes to Building Regulations Part L at a Technical Competency Briefing on the Future Homes Standard for the NLA on behalf of LETI. This is a relatively complex set of consultations that began in 2020 and will likely run through to 2025. The focus of my presentation was mainly on Part L of the 2021 Regulations relating to new and existing dwellings, with a hint of discussion on the new overheating regulation too.
Here are the key points about the regulations being discussed:
- Part L1 – A new version of Part L1 for domestic (new and existing buildings combined) will likely be released in 2021/2022.
- Part X? – A completely new regulation on overheating in dwellings (yet to be named) is being consulted on at the moment. Hoping to be released in 2021/2022.
- Part L2 – A new version of Part L2 for non-domestic (new and existing buildings combined) is being consulted on now and will likely be released in 2022.
- Part F – Ventilation is also being consulted on for domestic and non-domestic – aiming to be released in 2021/2022.
- Future Homes Standard – There will be new Part L1 for dwellings in 2025 called Future Homes Standard, with consultation starting in 2023.
- Future Buildings Standard – There will be a new Part L2 for non-domestic in 2025 called Future Building Standard, with consultation hopefully also starting ahead of regulation.
LETI is currently working day and night to release technical and strategic answers to the consultation that the industry can use. Please consider helping us when this is released.