The Flying Angel on Victoria Dock Road was built in 1934-6 as an Anglican Mission, providing hostel accommodation for seafarers. The building is being restored and extended to create a mixed use development with resident flats on the upper floors with artist studios and community space on the ground floor. Within the development a small courtyard has been created, bounded by the building on Southern and Western side, and protected London Plane trees on the Eastern site boundary.
Designed mainly as a quiet, contemplative space, the scheme aims to create a bold visual connection at both the ground floor and upper levels. A series of informal outdoor ‘rooms’, defined by material changes, act as spill out space for the users and residents. The ‘rooms’ are interconnected by an angular sculptural walkway, with a linear bench overlooking the main courtyard space. A grid of ornate magnolia trees breaks up the space and provides a key focus, with blocks of ground cover planting offering seasonal variation. A rich ornamental edge has been created under the existing trees to “frame” the central space.