The YMCA Student Hostel houses international students studying in the UK.
The extension to the Grade II listed building in Fitzrovia provides an additional 19 single and double student study bedrooms, each with en suite facilities, a new conference room and roof terrace. The original building, designed by Ralph Tubbs, dates from 1952 and was later extended in 1962.
The concept design for the extension is by Jonathan Tubbs (son), for a planning permission that was due to lapse in March 2002.
Levitt Bernstein were commissioned in November 2001 to implement the permission with enabling works preceding the building contract. Following significant revisions to the design, Levitt Bernstein won a new planning permission for the scheme, which was then implemented on site.
The new wing spans over the existing auditorium to the rear of the existing building with a lift serving each floor of the new accommodation. The glass curtain-walled corridors to the south-west elevation link into the existing building from first to fifth floors. The materials palette echoes those used in the original construction.