Designed in 1844 by Augustus Livesay and Thomas Owen, St. Mary’s House, now a listed building, was originally used to house paupers and later as a workhouse, hospital and old people’s home.
Following years of neglect the dilapidated building was carefully converted into 68 flats with 55 new flats and houses in the surrounding grounds.
Consideration was paid to ridding the ‘institutional’ feel from the old building and so, whilst the north, east and west facades were carefully restored, the south facade was sympathetically altered to provide the new flats with dual orientation.
The final result – an award winning scheme which respected and enhanced the imposing presence of St. Mary’s House, retaining the quality of the large building yet introducing a new pedestrian mews to the rear.
At a glance
Client: Portsmouth Housing Association
Construction Value £5.5m
Awards: 1992 Best Restoration Award, Portsmouth Society 1993 Good Planning Award, Portsmouth City Council